Monday, November 11, 2013

{We just don't want to do it.}



I believe this whole-heartedly.  Am I the best at serving the needy?  No.  But I am getting better!
I generally don't give to homeless people.  I should.  But I don't.  I know the typical excuses: they'll spend that money on booze.  They should get a job.  They're drug addicts.
But now, ask yourself this: did Christ stop and consider those things before loving people, despite their situations?
I know I still have a lot to learn about that.  I really do.  But I also know I'm at least trying to learn.

The other day, as Skyler and I headed into the gas station to pay for some gas, there were two guys outside who were down on their luck.  I stopped and asked if I could get them something to eat or drink.
One of the men immediately responded, "I'm not asking, ma'am."  I said, "I know you're not, but I'm offering."
Just then, an older man (I would say gentleman, but that he was not) walked past and said (& I quote... it's still on repeat in my head): "Pretty little girls like you don't need to be talking to idiots like that."
Woah. Hello, out of nowhere ignorance and rudeness.  I ignored him, deliberately turning my back to him and repeating again to the true gentlemen that I would be happy to buy them some food or a drink if they would like.  He only got louder.  "WHAT'S A PRETTY LITTLE GIRL LIKE YOU DOING TALKING TO THESE IDIOTS? Let's go!"
By then, my blood was boiling.  First of all, I believe I'm an intelligent woman.  I am perfectly capable of deciding who I should and should not talk to.  Secondly, there is nothing I hate more than being referred to as pretty/something of the sort by some stranger.  Hello, perv?  Generally I respond with, "Hey, thanks. My husband thinks I'm pretty, too."  Instead I turned around started marching myself past him into the store and said, "Actually, I didn't ask for your opinion. Thanks anyway, though."
Little old man was evidently hard of hearing.  "What?"
"I didn't ask for your opinion, nor was it necessary. Thanks."
I proceeded into the gas station, loudly told Skyler how unnecessarily rude some people are, and how angry it makes me when people have to be hateful for no reason.  I think I said, "What made that necessary?" and "Who does that?" about a billion times, well within ear-shot of little old man.
I hope he wanted to curl up in a ball and die of embarrassment, because he should be ashamed of his actions.  He should know that he made a complete fool of himself and that, darn it, it's none of his business if we "pretty little girls" want to be a little more caring than he is.  It's none of his business who I speak to.  He should know that he was rude and hurtful to those men, and that it was completely unnecessary.
The two men outside were nothing but respectful, calling me ma'am and being very humble.  Then up walks Mr. Hoity Toity, name-calling and judging for literally no reason at all.  & honestly, in that moment, I wanted nothing more than to explode at him, letting him know exactly where he could shove it, but instead I chose to keep walking, buy the true gentlemen each a drink, and deliver it to them.
And do you know the first words out of their mouths?
"Thank you so much. God bless. You have a good afternoon, ma'am."

Do I think they needed Mountain Dew, for their nutrition?  Absolutely not.  But do I need all that I have?  Do I have more than I deserve? And for what reason?  Why do I deserve more than them?
I just feel that if we could share a little love, even if it's just so much as not treating people like complete crap, then wouldn't the world be a better place? For $3, I was able to brighten their outlook a little, to remind them that we're not all "little old men".  Why not use our actions and resources to lift others?

& to you, little old man, I hope you learned something. I hope you took notes. I hope you saw how true gentlemen act, and I hope you learned we "pretty little girls" are also pretty freakin' feisty.  I hope you know that there were a whole lot of things this "pretty little girl" wanted to say to you, but held back.  I hope you think before you speak, next time.  I hope you learn to say what's necessary and speak kind words.  I hope that, in the words of my kiddos, you learn to "speak with good purpose."  How is it that 4th graders can handle that, yet you can't?
I hope you realize that people have circumstances, and maybe they got themselves into it or maybe they didn't, but I just don't believe that that means they deserve those circumstances any more than I deserve the blessings I've been handed in my life.  Just because you have a car and can afford to walk in that gas station and buy your coffee and cigarettes doesn't mean you're a better person than they are.  I hope you learn that.  I really do.  & I hope that someday, you're given an opportunity to serve someone and you choose to do just that.

No comments:

Post a Comment