Thursday, October 24, 2013

{love}

I've had several people ask me lately about how Skyler and I met; how we fell in love; when I knew he was 'the one.'
The truth is, I fell for Skyler when I was bound & determined to be alone.  He'd just gotten home from his mission; I was finally single, after nearly three years of being in a steady relationship.  I had goals--not just goals, but a plan.  I had a plan, and there was no Plan B.  It was how my life was going to be, and I just knew it.
I was going to teach.  I was going to get through school, and go back to China or move to a big city.  I was going to teach English.  I was going to be single and not even think about dating for a few more years; I didn't want to date again until after I'd "lived".
Funny thing is, I didn't stop to talk to God about my 'plan' I had for myself, and He had something completely different in mind for me.  So I fell in love with Skyler, faster than I'd ever imagined I could.  Faster than I'd wanted.  Within weeks, I was positive I would marry him.  Yes, weeks.
So we fell, and we fell hard.  We built a relationship around phone calls and Skype dates.  We stayed up late, reading scriptures to each other and telling everything that had happened to each of us, that day.  We talked about everything, and we went through some tough times from the start.  We dealt with silly, jealous girls and miles between us.  We dealt with who would move where, and how we would work out.  


& after a while, after our stubborn-ness had a chance to disappear, we realized just how in love and happy we were.  We gave in to those feelings. & we worked.  Literally.  We worked our butts off to be together, and he popped the question, and I was happier than I'd ever known I could be.  He moved halfway across the country, and I did my best to make that transition comfortable.  He gave up his mountains, while I gave up what I thought was my 'plan'.
He took me to the temple and made me his eternal wife--for time and all eternity.  

& it's hard to believe it's really only been 10 months since we walked through those doors.
I'll say it, we've kicked butt the past 10 months.  We've done dang good.
Are we living a super glamorous life? No. We're doing the broke, married college students thing. & I'm loving it.  Our lives are simple.  We play LIFE and watch old movies we already own.  We don't go out to the movies, we don't eat out, and we don't travel every weekend because we have different priorities.  My priority is Skyler.  My priority is my marriage.  My priority is constantly learning more about my husband.  My priority is supporting him in every single thing he's doing, and I know that his priorities are the same, for me. So happy, so blessed, & so so grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment